Wednesday 22 October 2014

Creations I'm not too embarrassed to post on the internet - The Coffee Cup Cozy

Once I got the hang of "knit one, purl two" it was time to try an actual project with the hopes that the finished product might resemble something other than a 19th century sanitary napkin. You know, something with a little more purpose than this:


Yeah, I still wasn't getting the whole binding off process.

My first attempt was the "Pumpkin Spice" coffee cup cozy, perfect for beginners and a crash course in cables. I used cheap yarn to practice the pattern with and after several attempts (half of which I used the wrong sized needles and the wrong weight yarn) I finally made it to the end where I could actually sew on the button! Here was the result.

Not perfect by any means but you can almost consider it a functional piece of craftwork. The trick I found with cables is to knit as "relaxed" as possible, especially the two rows before the cable row.  It also helps to use plastic needles as I lost many stitches to the evils of  those slippery aluminum needles. I also found I needed to count the stitches after every row or I would magically end up with err... "Extracurricular" stitches. But really between all the stitches I dropped and all the ones I inadvertently added, I think it balanced out. I mean, doesn't it work like that?

And yes,the button is slightly off centre. I think it gives it character.

How often have is used this coffee cozy at home, you may ask? Exactly zero times. But next time I hit up the Starbucks drive through you better believe I will brandish this piece with pride. No more cardboard sleeves for this textile-savvy caffeine addict!





No comments:

Post a Comment